Data Protection and Privacy
The proprietor of the website located at https://shop.maltauncovered.com/ (the “Website” “We”, “Us”) is Edward Lansink, a sole proprietor with office address Triq Dun Mikiel Xerri, ATD2023, Attard, Malta. (“Malta Uncovered”).
Malta Uncovered will ensure that any personal data received from you will be processed in accordance with:
- The Maltese Data Protection Act (Chapter 440 of the Laws of Malta) as well as the various subsidiary legislation issued under the same – the ‘DPA’
- The Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of Personal Data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) – the ‘GDPR’.
All the above referred to together as the “Data Protection Laws”
Collection of Personal Data
What is Personal Data and what are special categories of data?
“Personal Data” means any information that identifies You as an individual or that relates to an identifiable individual.
What Personal Data we collect
Malta Uncovered may collect personal data from you via the Website, but only if you choose to submit it via forms completed by you on the Website. Personal Data about you may also be collected by Malta Uncovered if you contact Malta Uncovered with queries or to request further information about the Website or any other matter. Personal Data is not collected through the use of third parties, nor is any submitted Personal Data sold to third parties.
The types of Personal Data which Malta Uncovered may collect from you in the ways referred to above (specifically when you submit this information through a newsletter subscription or product purchase) when using the Website may include:
- E-mail address
- Country of residence
- VAT number (for EU users)
- Your IP address
- Whether you will be travelling to Malta and when
Furthermore, when you access Malta Uncovered, we automatically collect and store the following non-personally identifiable (anonymous) information:
- Website usage data, such as:
- Which pages you accessed
- The previous site you visited
- The date and time on which you visited
- What type of device and browser you used to access the Website
Malta Uncovered does not store credit card details. Any transactions completed on third party websites are subject to their privacy policies and terms & conditions.
Automatic Collection of Personal Data
Subject to the provision on cookies below, Malta Uncovered has not set up the Website to automatically collect or store personal data about you other than by logging your IP address. An IP address is a string of computer code which identifies your PC and tells the Internet that you are connected to it. This information is not retained after you have logged off. Malta Uncovered does not connect information automatically logged in this way with personal data about you or any specific individuals.
Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computer’s hard drive through your Web browser that enables the sites’ or service providers’ systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information.
Why do we collect Personal Data?
Malta Uncovered will process (collect, store and use) the information you provide in a manner compatible with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This privacy notice tells you how we, Malta Uncovered, will collect and use your business contact information and related data.
The information that you provide to us, we collect from you, or that we collect from other sources is primarily used to provide you with the products and services you are requesting and hence for us to fulfil our obligations and process the sale transaction to which you are party to.
- To personalize your experience. (Your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs)
- To improve our website. (We continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you)
- To improve customer service. (Your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs).
We also process your Personal Data to:
- Keep you informed of any updates or new products and services we are offering
- Provide you with content which you requested, such as informative emails or emails pertaining to the purchase of our digital guide books.
In terms of being contacted for marketing and promotional proposes, Malta Uncovered requests you to opt in for such communications after you provide your business contact information on the website, through an automated email which asks you to confirm your consent to receiving communications from Malta Uncovered. Until such consent is given, we shall not send you any communications other than those related to your requests placed on our website, such as using our content form to pose your questions or through the purchase of guide books, in which cases it is in our legitimate interest to contact you.
In addition, any email sent informing you of products or services we offer; or providing other information includes opt-out options enabling you to unsubscribe from such emails. Alternatively, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to edward[[at]]maltauncovered.com.
- Perform remarketing and retargeting marketing campaigns through different third party service providers to position targeted ads to appear to you as you browse elsewhere around the Internet after visiting our website.
- We use marketing automation/email marketing platforms to reach out to our clients via email. All data stored within our marketing software solutions are hosted by the solution providers. The data stored on the marketing automation/email marketing platforms is limited to your full name, email address, city and country of residence, whether you plan to travel to Malta and when.
In any event, we are committed to ensuring that the information we collect and use is appropriate for this purpose, and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy.
What steps we take to keep your Personal Data secure
We work hard to protect Malta Uncovered and our users from unauthorised access to or unauthorised alteration, disclosure or destruction of information that we hold. We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your information when you place an order.
- We offer the use of a secure server. All supplied sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our Payment gateway providers’ database only to be accessible by those authorized with special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. However, no data transmitted over the internet can be guaranteed to be 100% safe and Malta Uncovered do not accept liability for any data in transit and any data you send is at your own risk.
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices to guard against unauthorised access to systems.
- We restrict access to information to service providers, contractors, and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations. They may have their contract terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
- We have put in place internal procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
We have also taken the necessary steps to ensure that our third-party processors who provide data hosting services or otherwise process data on our behalf, have sufficient safeguards in place to protect your data. In carrying out this assessment, we consider the extent of data transmitted. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
We retain your information for a range of purposes and will not be kept longer than necessary for the purpose. You may ask for this to be deleted in accordance with the Rights of the GDPR (see Right to be forgotten) at any time by contacting us via edward[[at]]maltauncovered.com.
Access to your data
At any point you can contact us to request details concerning the information we hold about you, why we have that information, who has access to the information and where we got the information. In most cases you may be entitled to copies of the information we hold concerning you. Once we have received your request we will respond within 30 days. Please submit a request via edward[[at]]maltauncovered.com.
Update your data
If the data we hold about you is out of date, incomplete or incorrect, you can inform us and we will ensure that it is updated. Please submit a request via edward[[at]]maltauncovered.com.
Right to be forgotten
If you feel that we should no longer be using your data or that we are illegally using your data, you can request that we erase the data we hold. When we receive your request, we will confirm whether the data has been deleted or tell you the reason why it cannot be deleted. Please submit a request via edward[[at]]maltauncovered.com.
Object to processing & request restriction
You have the right to request that Malta Uncovered stops processing your data. Upon receiving the request, we will contact you to tell you if we are able to comply or if we have legitimate grounds to continue. If data is no longer processed, we may continue to hold your data to comply with your other rights. You have the right to request that we stop contacting you with direct marketing. On promotional emails we provide an ‘unsubscribe’ link at the top and bottom of the email which will unsubscribe you from that service. You can also unsubscribe via our unsubscribe link. If you wish to opt out with respect to more than one email address, you must complete a separate request for each email address. You have the right to request that we stop profiling you in relation to our direct marketing practice. You can inform us and we will deal with your request accordingly. You can make a complaint to us by contacting us via edward[[at]]maltauncovered.com or to the data protection supervisory authority.
You have the right to request that we transfer your data to you in a machine readable format. Once we have received your request, we will need to verify your identity and comply where it is feasible to do so. Please submit a request via edward[[at]]maltauncovered.com.
How can you contact us to exercise your rights?
Email address: edward[[at]]maltauncovered.com
Postal Address: Triq Dun Mikiel Xerri, ATD2023, Attard, Malta.
We are committed to process your requests within thirty (30) days from receipt, and free of charge.
This policy was last modified on 1 November 2019.